Whether you’ve just gotten the keys to your new retail space or are an established business looking to give your store an upgrade, one thing you’ll need to consider is your retail shelving design. Retail shelving is integral to any store and determines how you present your products to customers.
While this may seem like a simple business purchase, there are a few things you will need to consider when brainstorming retail shelving ideas, from size to display type and functionality. If you’re stumped for ideas or need help deciding what retail display shelving will work for your business, Shop for Shops is here to help.
Shop for Shops is a leading retailer specialising in retail fittings, shelving and display solutions. We are experts in advising retailers on how they can transform their store’s layout and stock a wide range of high-quality products to help retailers design their space.
We’ll explore the essential factors you need to consider when choosing retail shelving, explain how to choose the right one for your business and suggest design ideas according to your space and product type.
4 factors to consider when browsing retail shelving solutions
Retail shelving has the ability to influence your store’s overall look and feel, which as a result, can impact the number of customers that walk through your store every day. When considering your retail shelving options, it’s important to find the balance between choosing a solution that bodes well with your products while remaining inviting and exciting to customers.
Once you start shopping around for retail display shelving, consider the following factors:
1. The space in your store — The size and layout of your store will dictate how much space you have to work with. Your shelving units should be purchased following the size of your store to ensure a comfortable fit and to help the space avoid looking tightly packed. If you are working with a smaller space, consider which areas of your store do not require shelving and can be substituted with another display solution, such as baskets or display cubes.
2. The types of products you sell — You’ll also want to consider the products you sell during your decision-making process. Not only will your shelving play a part in how customers perceive your products, but it can also determine how you store them. For instance, if your products feature sharp or protruding edges or rough materials, you could risk damaging the finish of your shelving units and have to pay for repairs. In this case, you may opt for a larger or wider unit to accommodate your product range.
3. The weight of your products — The shelving you choose will need to have the capacity to support the type of products you stock. When selecting the right shelving unit for your store, it’s important to consider not just the weight of an individual product but a collective figure, as you will need to be able to store multiple items. If your products are heavier, you might opt for wooden shelving, as these are sturdier.
4. Your budget — Probably one of the most important factors when deciding on retail shelving is your budget. As you need to purchase multiple units, check it's within your business’s budget. This is especially important for newly established companies needing to prioritise mindful spending. Shop for Shops prides itself on offering competitive pricing across our range of high-quality products. We also allow customers to save on their shelving costs by offering discounted pricing to those who buy in bulk.
How to choose the right retail shelving display for your store
Once you’ve nailed down the type of retail shelving you want, the next step is to consider the finer details. Taking the time to account for these can help you build your store’s aesthetic and prepare you for future layout changes. That’s why it’s also important to compare:
- Materials — Retail shelving displays are made from various materials, including wood, steel and hard plastic. While each offers its own benefits, selecting a style that blends well with your company’s branding, decor or colour theme is important. This ensures a consistent look throughout your store and may help you look more professional to customers.
- Functionality — From freestanding shelves to wired shelves, having a functional unit at your disposal is essential for retail business owners. Things constantly change, from increased stock to product expansion, so it’s important to have a unit that can keep up. For instance, you may purchase a shelving unit with adjustable shelves, mounting abilities or attached wheels should you want to change your store’s layout or one with locks if you intend to sell merchandise, like jewellery.
Shop fit-out shelving ideas for retailers
You might not realise it, but shelving is one of the easiest ways to market your products to customers. It’s a great way to show off your products and encourage customers to take them home. If you are looking to upgrade the way you showcase your merchandise, we’ve jotted down three shop shelving ideas based on product type:
- Clothing — Aside from regular clothing racks, if you want to present your clothing to customers in the best way possible, you might want to consider slat walls. These consist of panels and horizontal grooves that allow you to slot in hooks or other attachments. Grid walls are also ideal and can evoke a sense of sophistication as they promote less clutter.
- Jewellery, electronics and other valuable items — If you have valuable merchandise you want to promote to customers, such as electronics or fashion accessories, lockable glass shelving units may be your best bet. Slat walls and rolling carts are also favourable as they can manage to support lightweight items.
- Food, alcohol or other household items — From canned goods to cleaning supplies, we recommend gondola shelving units if you are stocking these items in your store. This is because they have a wide surface area and can showcase multiple items and categorise them based on your product range.
Shop for Shops — your trusted retail fitting and shelving provider
Between keeping stock levels sustainable and staying on top of the latest trends, running a retail business can be challenging. And whether you’re a newly established business owner or a seasoned pro, finding the right equipment for your business will always be a top priority.
We understand how important it is for retail business owners to find shelving and fitting solutions they can rely on, which is why Shop for Shops prides itself on stocking only the best quality shop fit-out shelving units and display solutions. We also take our service one step further by offering custom solutions for customers who need a more specific shelving solution.
Explore our retail display options today
Shop for Shops is a proud Australian family-owned organisation happily supporting small businesses worldwide. All our shop fittings, displays and shelving solutions are designed to help your merchandise look fantastic and attract loyal customers. We have everything you need to build the foundation of your store, from display tables to reusable bags and other shelving accessories.
If you would like more information about our retail display shelving or other shop fitting products, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1300 11 SHOP or email us via email@example.com.